Ronald McDonald House
Providing a “home-away-from-home” for families of sick kids
Many families travel quite a distance to seek treatment for their seriously ill or injured children at Penn State Health Children’s Hospital. And, for children facing a serious medical crisis, nothing seems scarier than not having mom and dad close by for love and support. Our House is built on the simple idea that nothing else should matter when a family is focused on the health of their child – not where they can afford to stay, where they will get their next meal or where they will lay their head at night. We believe that when a child is hospitalized the love and support of family is as powerful as the strongest medicine.
The Ronald McDonald House is a “home-away-from-home” for families so they can be right by their children. The generosity of volunteers and donors make our House possible. It’s their kindness that allows our families to stay, free of charge. Want to help? View our Wish List.
Helping Families Face the Weight of Illness Together
Families are stronger when they are together, which helps in the healing process. By staying at the Ronald McDonald House, parents can better communicate with their child’s medical team and maintain treatment plans when needed. They can focus solely on the health of their child, rather than grocery shopping, cleaning or cooking meals.
Comforts at the Ronald McDonald House
- Private guest rooms with bathrooms; wheel-chair accessible rooms are available
- Home-cooked meals provided by volunteers
- Kitchen and dining areas with microwave, refrigerator and ovens
- Laundry facilities
- Internet Access with free Wi-Fi
- Play area and playground for children
- Entertainment/Playroom room with video games
- Transportation to Penn State Health Children’s Hospital